The student news site of Hiram Johnson High School

Smoke Signal

Additional Regulations called after Las Vegas shooting

Erika Herrera

Due to the tragic mass shooting on October 1, 2017 at the Las Vegas music festival, the National Rifle Association has called for additional regulations on bump fire stocks. Stephen Paddock’s, the shooter, hotel room was found with 12 bump stocks on firearms. This tool can be bought for around $200 and serves for the purpose to make a semi-automatic rifle function as automatic ones. This means with one pull of the trigger, the bump stock will allow the firearm to shoot 30 rounds in a matter of seconds like a machine gun. Many people are rushing to the stores to buy these bump fire stocks before there is a ban on them or there is a of tighter gun control. Senator Dianne Feinstein and 26 other Democrats introduced a bill on October 4 to ban bump stocks. The bill to ban these tools is being reviewed.

Anna Nguyen commented on the ban of bump fire stocks, “Paddock had 12 of these tools with the mindset to hurt and kill innocent people at a concert. It’s pretty tragic that there are people who don’t want to ban firearms or this tool. I believe Congress should allow for the bump fire stock to be banned, maybe it will prevent from something like this to happen again.” Alexis Thao suggested, “People should just accept that they don’t need to have firearms. There should be a ban on firearms because every year we have cases of murders due to firearms. There are some serious sick people who have the intention to kill innocent people. Such as school shootings, little kids are killed because the US doesn’t take into consideration that with tight control and ban on firearms shootings wouldn’t be happening often. With the Las Vegas mass shooting, people went to this concert with the motive to have fun but instead were involved surrounded by innocent deaths and panic. Then we have this tool that makes a semi-automatic firearm into a like machine gun. What a great idea.”